Struggling with Front Suspension re-build

aktueller Austausch vor dem Posten ruhig mal die SUCHE benutzen!

Moderatoren: tce, gvz, jany, Staff

Antworten
epowell
Poster
Modell: T3
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: '81 hightop
Leistung: 70 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: JX
Anzahl der Busse: 1

Struggling with Front Suspension re-build

Beitrag von epowell »

Hi Guys....

...I am currently re-building my front suspension... ALL new bushings - no ball joints/tie rod ends because they are new from the previous owner. Shocks... I am not sure yet. I will also replace the rotors and wheel bearings, but I will leave the calipers alone (except for painting the exterior) because they work well now and I have a time limit before the State Technical Control :-bla

Anyway, I am now in the middle of tearing down all the front end (first time I ever did this :-( ...some things are going well, but of course having some problems also. I would like to ask some advice and help with my most serious problems.

1) How do I remove this big nut which connects the Lower Ball Joint (LBJ) to the Lower Controlling Arm (LCA)? I am hoping to get the LCA lowered and the SPRING removed BEFORE removing the calipers, BUT even with the calipers removed I still can not see how I can even get a socket on this LBJ NUT....??? Any ideas?
LBJ NUT
Bild

2) A smaller problem is how do I disconnect the STEERING RACK from that STEERING ROD... I know maybe this is obvious - just unbolt it??? But is there any special consideration for this so I do not mess up my steering alignment?
STEERING RACK
Bild

3) Last thing: The lower bolts holding the SHOCK ABSORBER on at the bottom are TOTALLY STUCK and WON'T MOVE. This is the early style "stamped" LCA so the nut is "inside" the LCA so difficult to clean the threads... maybe I should use a MAPP torch on it?

Also 2 X 19mm bolts on the drivers side calipers are TOTALLY STUCK..... very frustrating.

Otherwise everything is going well....

Edward
Fränkie
Harter Kern
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Joker
Leistung: 75+?
Motorkennbuchstabe: AAZ

Re: Struggling with Front Suspension re-build

Beitrag von Fränkie »

U should use a pneumatic impact wrench,

1st lose the calipers mount.
Then u should have the space to place a nut.
Maybe u have to lose the upper ball joint as well. The steering rod anyway.

If the pneumatic impact döst not help u r in trouble, try to use a torch, but not to much u don't like to burn the Van.

Good luck.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Fränkie hat geschrieben:U should use a pneumatic impact wrench,
Unfortunately I don't have...
Fränkie hat geschrieben: try to use a torch, but not to much u don't like to burn the Van.
I think I will buy a MAPP gas torch....
Fränkie
Harter Kern

Beitrag von Fränkie »

Sorry bro but without u r in trouble as well, because u need a loooong lever to bring up the force to move it, and if u don't have a car lift u don't have little space for a long lever, and u have to bring great force to the car that probably only sit on the car jack. So overall u should visit a workshop for that... i might be to heavy, sorry.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Fränkie hat geschrieben:Sorry bro but without u r in trouble as well, because u need a loooong lever to bring up the force to move it, and if u don't have a car lift u don't have little space for a long lever, and u have to bring great force to the car that probably only sit on the car jack. So overall u should visit a workshop for that... i might be to heavy, sorry.
I see what you mean... for that Lower Ball Joint nut, we need an IMPACT WRENCH because it doesn't require extra space that a breaker bar needs... I see. Problem... but I hear all the time about people who re-build front ends without impact guns.
Fränkie
Harter Kern

Beitrag von Fränkie »

Not shure ....Never thougt about doing it without an impact.... because i have one... if u can Get an impact on it u should be able to make it to Place a nut with a Driver. But i have no idea how to bring the Force That is nessesaey to loose it.... give it a Try... on the pathetische Hand the Moment for that nut is Not soooo String if tightened as advised in the Manual, its 110 Nm

The ball joints Shaft is a Cone Sitting in the Wishbone, u Need a puller for that.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Anyway, I realized that I will not have to remove that nut after all because:
1) I do not need to replace ball joints and tie rod ends
2) I will keep the Lower Control Arm, Radius Rod, Steering Knuckle, Spindle and both Ball Joints all together as one unit - and remove that all at once - all together in one piece. The reason for doing it this way is because I have the early style LCA and the RR attaches with 3 bolts and I don't want to risk breaking those and having a HUGE mess.
Fränkie
Harter Kern

Beitrag von Fränkie »

I das u habe the Öls Version ehrte the ball jpoints fitting is fixed in the wishbone with screws. Maybe its easier to lose These bolts.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Fränkie hat geschrieben:I das u habe the Öls Version ehrte the ball jpoints fitting is fixed in the wishbone with screws. Maybe its easier to lose These bolts.
Yes yes exactly... just remove those 2 X 8mm allan screws and the Upper Control Arm is free :)
Fränkie
Harter Kern

Beitrag von Fränkie »

Ah sorry about the Auto correction Mess i Did Not See... in the lower wishbone, there should are some more screws.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Yes... I think now I am more orientated... I will post my progress and any more questions as they arise :)
Antworten

Zurück zu „T3-Aktuell (BJ 1979 - 1992)“