t3 transmissions

this subforum is dedicated to our dear english-speaking vw-bus-drivers... feel free to ask, mention, and contribute on all topics regarding vw vans!

Moderatoren: jany, Staff

Antworten
zedder63
Mit-Leser
Modell: T3 Syncro
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: TDI
Leistung: 110ps
Motorkennbuchstabe: VW
Anzahl der Busse: 2

t3 transmissions

Beitrag von zedder63 »

hello im new here and have 2 t3's both with lots of power but have short trannys
does anyone know which trannys are stronger , or have one for sale?
my syncro has an AVJ
thanks mark

ps I am a canadian living in frankfurt am main, I speak a lil german
Wohnklofan
Mitleser
Modell: T3
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Westi
Leistung: 70 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: jx
Anzahl der Busse: 1

Re: t3 transmissions

Beitrag von Wohnklofan »

Hi Mark,

welcome and a lot of fun here...

I don't know anything about transmissions, but perhaps you try to
contact these guys :

http://www.bulliforum.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or have a look on their webside...

greets...
Hotelbett ? Nein danke...
henchman26
Mit-Leser
Leistung: 90 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: 1Z

Beitrag von henchman26 »

Mark,
Are you looking for a *stronger* transmission or are you looking for one with taller gears that will let you use that extra power?

I have a TDI syncro camper, I have had the transmission rebuilt with different ratios: 1.88 2nd, 1.08 3rd, and .7 4th, with a 4.86 ring and pinion... I can definitely give you some advice regarding gearing if that is what you are after..

And FWIW I just moved to Ulm and speak probably less German than you do! :^)

-Zach
zedder63
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von zedder63 »

Wohnklofan hat geschrieben:Hi Mark,

welcome and a lot of fun here...

I don't know anything about transmissions, but perhaps you try to
contact these guys :

http://www.bulliforum.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or have a look on their webside...

greets...
thank you i will have a look
zedder63
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von zedder63 »

henchman26 hat geschrieben:Mark,
Are you looking for a *stronger* transmission or are you looking for one with taller gears that will let you use that extra power?

I have a TDI syncro camper, I have had the transmission rebuilt with different ratios: 1.88 2nd, 1.08 3rd, and .7 4th, with a 4.86 ring and pinion... I can definitely give you some advice regarding gearing if that is what you are after..

And FWIW I just moved to Ulm and speak probably less German than you do! :^)

-Zach
okay, so with what you have here how many rpms are you at at 100kmph
with which tire size.

I would just like to go like 110 without the engine screaming and i have 235 70 16
I would love to be under 3thousand rpm at 110km and i am at my limit for tire size
(looks super cool with the big tires, their also not registered yet ;-)

thanks
mark
henchman26
Mit-Leser
Leistung: 90 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: 1Z

Beitrag von henchman26 »

If you want to get a good idea of gearing options use this:
http://www.syncro.org/Files/syncrotirea ... tiosdd.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is from the US so you will have to do the miles/kilometers conversion but it works pretty well for figuring out gearing choices.

at 120kph I am turning around 3200rpm, I have 215/75R15 BFG AT tires

If you are familiar with the Autobahn between Stuttgart and Ulm there is a section where it gets very steep, I can generally pull this in 4th gear but the engine is really working and the temperature starts to climb, mine is a slightly tuned 90hp 1Z TDI and the van weighs almost 2200Kg, I honestly believe this is a little to much gearing and if I was starting over I would either go with a .77 4th gear, or I would try to find a different Ring&Pinion to drop all the gearing overall and make the motor work a little easier. On the flipside I can haul ass on the flats and hot over 140Kph which is really way faster than a T3 Syncro should be driven. :^)

By keeping 3rd at 1.08 but dropping the 4th to .77 you would get a little more overlap between the gears, the nice thing about the tall 3rd is you can actually downshift on the hills and still keep a reasonable speed, and in 3rd the engine has no trouble at all pulling even the steep hills.

With your larger tires obviously the rations change but the advice stays the same.

Hope all that makes sense... If you are ever in the Ulm area you are welcome to take the van for a drive and see how it feels.

-Zach
zedder63
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von zedder63 »

henchman26 hat geschrieben:If you want to get a good idea of gearing options use this:
http://www.syncro.org/Files/syncrotirea ... tiosdd.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is from the US so you will have to do the miles/kilometers conversion but it works pretty well for figuring out gearing choices.

at 120kph I am turning around 3200rpm, I have 215/75R15 BFG AT tires

If you are familiar with the Autobahn between Stuttgart and Ulm there is a section where it gets very steep, I can generally pull this in 4th gear but the engine is really working and the temperature starts to climb, mine is a slightly tuned 90hp 1Z TDI and the van weighs almost 2200Kg, I honestly believe this is a little to much gearing and if I was starting over I would either go with a .77 4th gear, or I would try to find a different Ring&Pinion to drop all the gearing overall and make the motor work a little easier. On the flipside I can haul ass on the flats and hot over 140Kph which is really way faster than a T3 Syncro should be driven. :^)

By keeping 3rd at 1.08 but dropping the 4th to .77 you would get a little more overlap between the gears, the nice thing about the tall 3rd is you can actually downshift on the hills and still keep a reasonable speed, and in 3rd the engine has no trouble at all pulling even the steep hills.

With your larger tires obviously the rations change but the advice stays the same.

Hope all that makes sense... If you are ever in the Ulm area you are welcome to take the van for a drive and see how it feels.

-Zach
thanks for your help Zach
I will look at this info and get back to you
and when I come down your way ill be sure to stop by
let me know if you are coming up my way
thanks
mark
Antworten

Zurück zu „English-Corner“